Thursday, February 19, 2009

Uh oh... I'm pulling the race card.. or am I?

So I was checking WYOTK's past videos. WYTOK stands for the website What You Ought To Know. If you haven't been on this website, then you really should. It's a really amazing site. Anyway, I was checking the past videos and one of them caught my eye. It's from may of last year, but it's still great, and because I think you all should watch it


http://www.whatyououghttoknow.com/show/2008/05/02/racism/

I love the point it makes. It seems ridiculous that we have to pay for our ancestors mistakes. Just the fact that President Barrack Obama said it was a big day for African Americans everywhere because it means we are moving foreword is racist. I mean think about it, if we really were moving foreword, people wouldn't have voted for him just because he was black. Also it wouldn't be a big day because he was black, it would be a good day because he was becoming president. I am not saying everyone voted for him because he was black, but common you people did. If our United States really wasn't racist and we were moving foreword into a good direction, the fact that he was black wouldn't have come up in the first place.

Equal opportunity, that's what I believe. The fact that African Americans get more money and get a better education down plays them. They are strong people, just like us. It's the same way for women. I think that because I have a better chance at getting my engineering degree than a guy, it down plays me. I want to be out on the field with an equal opportunity.

I think sure we have moved foreword, but we have also started to turn the other way. Tell me what you think, and go by the rules the Brett says in the video. If this post offends you, then you need to take a good look at yourself and flame responsibly.

5 comments:

  1. i totally agree with this sam. people treat racism by being racist. it shouldn't matter the color of my skin or whether i am a boy or a girl. that shouldn't change the responsibilties i can handle. African Americans get better education and such because they were denied it in the past... but now, because we've done that... we're denying the whites to be equal to blacks. and i say black because that is what they are. just as i am white. not all dark skinned people are from africa so why do we generalize them that way? like sam said, sorry if my comment offends you... it's just what makes logical sense to me.

    nice post sam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, and it was a really great post!

    However, I just wanted to make a point that we should embrace our race, and other people's races, and not completely ignore it. Your skin color is part of who you are, and no one should be ashamed of that.

    Thanks for this post, Blu!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well,
    A) racism is still out there, and yes people proved it is still out there when they voted for the sake of voting for a black man, just to spite those that voted against for racist reasons. But we are moving forward, Blu.
    B) There is more acceptance and tolerance, especially if we vote FOR a black president. Racism would be rioting against the whole thing, anything and everything.
    And I remember believing that women and blacks would make more money, but HA! Boy did that prove to be wrong in the real world. Statistics, vs. Real World.
    I think that women still make less (it's been proven) and blacks are given the same opportunities for education and success, but that doesn't mean they will grasp the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elsha, on the comment about blacks getting the same opportunities. I am growing up right by detroit and I myself know that companies like general motors have to employ a certain number of minorities no matter what. Also, when it comes to geting into a good high school or college they still have to enroll a certian number of minorities. Shouldnt it just be about education and the persons work ethic? It shouldnt have to have anything to do with race at all. Heck they even ask you your race on the standardized tests. Why should it matter? we are all people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i and my getting more money i mean benefits from the government. just my experiences being around detroit. That is really life and it is what it is but it shouldnt have to be that way.

    ReplyDelete